Monday, February 4, 2013

Leviticus: Chapters 6 through 9

(This reading was done on 2/3/2013; published on 2/4/2013)

Hello my fellow Internites.  I hope everyone is doing well tonight and one of these days I will get these blogs posted before 11 o'clock at night...I promise. 

Time for the reading and with it comes a prayer of understanding that the information presented to me will be understandable and that I can use the information to further my studies.

Recently I have been a little upset that I have not been able to use anything and that, while educational, the information from the past few chapters have all been a lot like reading assembly instructions for a very delicate item.  All down to specifics, to the inch, what needs to be done and how it needs to be done.  Tonight, I had an epiphany of this information.

Leviticus 6-7
These chapters again deal with how the offerings should be sacrificed.  It was as I was reading this information that it finally hit me and I wonder why it took so long.

These are very strict orders to be followed and while I understand that because it is the Lord's way, I never truly understood it until I finished up chapter 7.  These were laws that were governed by the Lord through Moses.  So why is it so important?  Because these are the laws that the priests are to follow for sacrificing before God gave us the final sacrifice in Jesus Christ.  These rules and regulations needed to be followed to the exactness because these were the rules to save our souls.  It was so clear to me I do not understand how I could have missed it.

Leviticus 8: 8
8 And he put the breastplate upon him: also he put in the breastplate the Urim and the Thummim.

This took me aback.  While reading the information on the instructions I knew the breastplate that he talked about included the Urim and the Thummim but for some reason it did not impact me the same way this did.

I think it impacted me was that this breastplate, now officially, sat upon Aaron's chest.  The same breastplate, I can only imagine, that was found by Joseph Smith.  Along with the Urim and the Thummim this breastplate was laid to rest and finally found by a young farm boy who introduced us to the church I now belong to.  To have a piece of history like this in your hands, how filled with joy he must have been.  To know that he is holding the same things that Moses had commanded to be made.  I know this church is built on faith that Joseph Smith had and I think this part has a lot to do with it.

Leviticus 9: 24
24 And there came a fire out from before the Lord, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which‍ when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would have done exactly what the children of Israel did.  Presented before the Lord I would fall to my face as well.  To be honest I think a lot of it would be fear, there would be awe, but I would fear that my faith did not meet the approval of the Lord.  This is the fear I would have.  I still have that fear within my own life today.  If I was to be face-to-face with the Lord, how would I react.  I know there would be tears, and I know I would be afraid.  Not because I am face-to-face with the Lord, but for the same reason.  I honestly do not know if my faith measures up to what the Lord wants.

I am scared to meet my saviour, I have dealt with a wavering of my faith, with inactivity, with slothfulness, and I am afraid that I will never measure to what is needed.  I am working on it, and my prayers are earnest.  But I still fear that my life will never measure up to what Jesus wants from me.

(Reading for 2/4/13 - Leviticus: 10-13  - will be posted 2/5/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment