Saturday, February 9, 2013

Leviticus: Chapters 25 through 27

(This reading was done on 2/8/2013; published on 2/9/2013)

Hello my fellow Internites and welcome to the last few books of Leviticus.  Tomorrow we start on Numbers and I have to say I am very excited.  I have never read this far into the Bible and I am learning a lot more than I thought I would or ever have before.  I feel energized and thankful for starting this endeavor that has yielded so much knowledge that I do not see this as a chore like I thought I would.

So onto the reading!  I started with a prayer and also thanked the Lord for the information he has already presented me.

Leviticus 25
This chapter deals with something that I have never heard of and that is that every seventh year shall be a sabbath year.  A year devoted strictly to the Lord.  This is such a new concept to me yet it seems so beneficial.  One whole year, dedicated to the Lord, what a privilege it would be.  Think of all the service you could do and all the blessings that would be poured out.  This, in itself, would be a miracle.

It also talks about every 50 years we are to have a jubilee.  A holy, year-long, festival that forgives trespasses and is meant to honor the Lord.  During this time we are instructed not to plow or to sacrifice so that the meat of the field can grow and multiply.  There are also laws set forth in this chapter that include how to sell and redeem lands and servants.

Leviticus 26
I highlighted some scripture in here as I read this chapter but I have to say that the entire chapter is worth reading and something I will comment on.  I suggest that everyone read this chapter, open your Bibles and look at what God himself has said and look on our times that we are living now.

This entire chapter tells of what we are going through now and how we could have easily avoided it all.  The Lord promises everything to us if we keep his commandments.  The Lord states that he will pour out blessings onto us, the children of Israel, if we follow his commandments.  He also states what will happen if we walk contrary to him.  Just look at some of the passages that are included and tell me that we have not fallen so far that we are now walking contrary to God.

We are not going through revelations, we are going through Leviticus 26.  Everything in here is something that we have seen and all of this has happened over a period of time in the past 20 years or so.  I live in Sacramento and I remember a time that we had seasons.  We had rain during the winter and now we have nothing.  It has been about a week since it rained for about a day or two and before that it was nearly three weeks.

Look at what has happened over the past few years alone.  Everything we have done has been leading us down a pathway contrary to God.  What God says is the rules, we no longer follow the covenants we have with him so he has done exactly what he said he was going to do.  None of this will change until we start walking with God again, unfortunately, we may never be able to do that.

Leviticus 27
This chapter deals with the consecration of houses and how the cost is to be determined for people living within the homes.  This chapter also talks about how tithing is to happen with regards to the crops and cattle.  There is a specific way that each of these are supposed to happen and it makes a lit more sense right now about how tithing works in our modern church.

(Reading for 2/9/13 - Numbers: 1-2 - will be posted 2/10/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment