Thursday, February 7, 2013

Leviticus: Chapters 17 through 20

(This reading was done on 2/6/2013; published on 2/7/2013)

Ok, my fellow Internites I will make this short and sweet...my cup runneth over and there is a LOT to go over today.  So let's get to it.

I started with my usual prayer of understanding and that I should be able to find gems that I can use or explain with my everyday life.  I also thanked the Lord for the word of the Bible

Leviticus 17: 4
4 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the Lord‍ before the tabernacle of the Lord; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people:

I started with this one because it says a lot in a very little.  Basically what this brought to mind is that the Lord is saying, heed my word and follow the instructions I give you, if not then I'm turning my back on you.  This, I think, is very important that people need to understand.  Following this are rules and laws that need to be followed; all the chapters dealt with rules and regulations including the death penalty and when to instigate it.  The Bible is God's word and too often, we don't fully understand that, even when we are studying it. 

These rules that have been presented and the rules that will be presented need to be followed, if not then you are cut off from the Lord and you are on your own.  That would scare me, tremendously.

Leviticus 17: 8-9
8 And thou shalt say unto them, Whatsoever man there be‍ of the house of Israel, or of the strangers which sojourn among you, that offereth a burnt offering or sacrifice,
9 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer it unto the Lord; even that man shall be cut off from among his people.

Sacrifices were meant to be made.  Even now, we have to sacrifice something to the church.  Most of us see this as a necessary sacrifice and we see the blessings that are given to us.  For example, tithing is a sacrifice, but those of us who have tithed the blessings are poured out to us and we know that this 'sacrifice' is needed.

These scriptures talk about those that offer a sacrifice but do not bring it to the tabernacle or even offer it to the Lord and they are sent out from God's eyes and seperated.  How could you not do this?  I could give my tithing to a charity, but this is a sacrifice for the Lord.  We thank the Lord for the work that we have and the support we have for our family.  Yes you could give it to charity, which would be a great thing to do, but without offering that thankfulness, that sacrifice, then you will be cut off.  I am not saying not to give to a charity, I am saying that sacrifices to the Lord need to be made. 

Leviticus 17: 10-11
10 And whatsoever man there be‍ of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.
11 For the life of the flesh is‍ in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is‍ the blood that‍ maketh an atonement for the soul.
 
If nothing else speaks of Jesus Christ in the Bible this scripture does; "for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul."  In the Old Testament the blood was from an animal sacrifice, in the New Testament that blood is from our saviour Jesus Christ.  This law has never changed and the fact that we celebrate this every time we take our sacrament says something very deeply.
 
Leviticus 18: 4-5
4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am‍ the Lord‍ your God.
5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am‍ the Lord.

This felt like a very big hug from God.  Here he says that if we shall do the judgements and ordinaces we walk with the Lord.  Not only do we need to just "do" them we need to "live in" them.  These statutes that the Lord has given us need to be followed simply because without that we are not the Lord. 

Now these rules and ordinaces change over time.  Like I said before, we don't do animal sacrifices anymore because we do not need to.  We have the sacrifice of Jesus.  But in general these laws and judgements and ordinances need to be kept to follow the Lord.  It is a simple plan of salvation and yet today we seem to follow these ordinaces when we want to, but that's not the way it is supposed to be.  These rules are a necessity to our life and our salvation.

Leviticus 19: 2
2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the Lord‍ your God am‍ holy.

I love this, again so simple and so powerful.  This needs to be stated from every father to every son and every mother to every daughter.  You shall be holy: for I the Lord your God am holy.  Keeping ourselves holy will make us more like God and that is what we all strive for.

Leviticus 19: 15
15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but‍ in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.

I love this one too.  Too often I hear people who claim to be 'good christians' turn around and talk about people or gossip behind their back.  This gets very frustrating for me and I see it as crass.  I try to look at who they are and what they bring to the table in terms of righteousness.  I will not say I am perfect, but I would rather look to see what people bring to my salvation rather then put them down for some reason.

Leviticus 20: 26
26 And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the Lord am‍ holy, and have severed you from other‍ people, that ye should be mine.

This was strong for me and meant something.  I am a child from Israel and reading more I see that those others have had their religions but they are gone.  Throughout this chapter there is talk of the God the Canaanites follows.  Is there any more of a reference of them?  No, there is no holy Bible of the Canaanites.  There are scriptural studies from other religions but nothing like the christian religion.  I know that I have been seperated as a child of Israel and with that I am folded within the arms of the Lord and I am his.

(Reading for 2/7/13 - Leviticus: 21-24  - will be posted 2/8/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment