Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Leviticus: Chapters 14 through 16

(This reading was done on 2/5/2013; published on 2/6/2013)
Hello my fellow Internites and I have to say I am weening on being excited for the studies.  I was able to make it through the begatting but now I am on rites and rituals that are no longer practiced today.  I know why they are there I just want to get into more scripture study rather than have nothing to write about here.  I know I seem like I am sounding bitter, but I'm not.  I love reading the scriptures and I am learning so much that I had no ideas about before.  I am still very excited whenever I open the book and read the words.

I did find another little gem that presented me with information I had no idea about.  So I guess the old saying is true, you do learn something new everyday.

I started off with a prayer for understanding and enlightenment.  That I would be able to use these scriptures in my every day life.  I also thanked the Lord for giving us this holy scripture and for his understanding as I struggle through trying to understand what He has presented to me.

Leviticus 14
Leviticus deals more with the rules and regulations on cleaning those and the home and the people that have come in contact with someone who has leprosy.  Again this is very instructional but really I could find nothing within it that deals with every day ideas.  I will continue to say that I know why it was written and I understand the necessity of it all, so with that I still have the images of what people did in those days floating through my head as I read it, but, I do not see anything that sits with my life.

Leviticus 15
This chapters deals with the rules and the rites that are used to help cleanse those who have a discharge or any other type of uncleanness.  More rules and more rites that spell out how the priests are to perform their duties to clean those who are considered unclean.  Nothing here for me to really report on.

Leviticus 16: 21-22
21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

This is where the phrase "scape goat" came from and I find this very intersting.  Aaron is supposed to confess over a goat he releases to the wild all the sins of the children of Israel.  I did not know this is where it came from but I found it interesting that it was a law presented to Moses.

This also seems like one of the greatest rules that the Lord presented.  Here is a way for Aaron to confess of sins besides all of the burnt offering he has to do anyway.  This makes it easier especially for everyone involved.  I am still unclear as to when this is done over the other sin offerings but I love this idea. 

(Reading for 2/6/13 - Leviticus: 17-20  - will be posted 2/7/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment