Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Leviticus: Chapters 10 through 13

(This reading was done on 2/4/2013; published on 2/5/2013)

Hello my fellow Internites and welcome back to my little nook in the internet world.  I am glad you are joining me again tonight and look forward to sharing the information I have gathered from my studies.

So I started with a prayer of understanding and learning and dove into my reading.

Leviticus 10: 10
10 And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;

Moses is talking to Aaron about the sons of Aaron that were burned before the Lord for performing an unauthorized sacrifice.  The Lord consumed them with fire and they died.  Moses was comforting Aaron about the death of his sons; not to rend his clothes or wail, because what they were doing was against the laws of the Lord.  Finally he gives some other rules to live by and states not to drink liquor and then stated this verse.

I love this because I have not always been a practicing Mormon, and I had fallen within my time.  I think this line says exactly what happens with a muddled mind of an alcoholic haze.  This is also amazing to me that this is the thought of a religious leader while Moses was around.  Moses knew that alcohol would affect the mind like this and that Aaron would not be a good priest because his mind would be muddled and he would be unable to perform the tasks that were laid out ahead of him.

Leviticus 11

This chapter deals specifically with what kind of animal is to be eaten and what kind of animal is deemed unclean to eat.  Again, there are a lot of rules in here that needs to be dealt with and I am giving this information a different look.  The beginning of the church needed this information so that they could be found pure and righteous in the name of the Lord.  The only questions that I have is when did these rules become forfeit and has all of these rules.  I know we do not do sacrifices anymore simply because we have the blanket of Jesus' sacrifice to protect us from the harsh cold of the Law of God.  But did all of these rules go out the window?  These are one of those questions that are talked about quite a bit but no real answer has ever been given.

Leviticus 12

This chapter is given into how a new born child is to be handled and how long both the mother and child will remain unclean until a sacrifice is offered.  This is a very short chapter so not a lot with regards to rules or information.

Leviticus 13

This chapter deals with all the different forms of leprosy and boils.  What the priests are to look for in each case, how long to separate them, and if separated what to look for after the seven days.  What struck me as interesting with this chapter was the information that was included.  These were not only priests but also doctors.  The information that they were given was what was needed to look for and how to treat, if it was at all treatable, the plague of leprosy.  I do not know how prominent leprosy was but it sounds like it was new enough because the priests were being told what, exactly, to look for.  If this was something that was prevelant wouldn't they have already known this information?  It's a question that is, I believe, unanswerable until a later time.

(Reading for 2/5/13 - Leviticus: 14-16  - will be posted 2/6/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment